02 January 2010

RIP Chrome

A month ago I started using Chrome as my default browser after a friend from school recommended it to me. I love the browser itself but unfortunately I’ve had to switch back to Firefox.


Minutes after I launch Chrome the entire system collapses, locks up, freezes, and forces me into a hard shutdown. I'm using Windows 7 on 1GB of RAM if you’re wondering.

The reason I think Chrome has this problem is because of the way it runs separate tabs as different processes. It also uses different processes for various extensions. Unfortunately, my laptop is far too weak to be able to handle all those processes, so I’m back with Firefox.

It feels weird to be using Firefox again because I’d got used to and actually preferred having my tabs in the title bar of the window. I hope there’s an add-on for that somewhere. If not I’ll just have to grin and bear it, otherwise everything else I do on my PC will be up the creek.

And that also means being cut off from communication with my girlfriend!

I could of course use my father’s PC for browsing the web but is switching back to Firefox such a huge compromise? Of course not – I used to prefer it to Chrome after all! Now all I need to do is make it as Chrome-like as possible...

What have you experienced using Chrome on Windows 7? Feel free to leave comments below.

Update
I'm back on Firefox and just to make it feel a little more Chrome-like I've installed two awesome add-ons:
Unfortunately, it's still nowhere near as fast, compact and intuitive, and lacks a lot of features I pine for from Chrome.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I tried Chrome on my laptop (2GB Ram, Vista) but it wouldn't close with the top right "X" icon, which annoyed me so much!

I am back to my good old Safari which is fine by me, I used to have safari 4 but didn't like its greyness.

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License