12 April 2010

Crap Processing Unit

I keep getting this problem with my laptop which crashes the entire system and forced me into a hard shutdown. I’m running Windows XP on 900MB memory and an outdated Intel Celeron processor and without warning the system just freezes. I can’t even move the mouse. Sometimes it’s just the Internet connection which dies, but the strange thing is, the software tells me I’m connected but when I launch a browser I can’t access any website or webpage…

Weird.

Occasionally the Internet crashes and so does the browser and practically every other application I’ve got running. But I still manage to access Task Manager which tells me that my CPU is running at 100%. I head into the Processes tab to see what’s taking it all up. As it turns out the ‘System’ process is at 96 under the CPU column. Why the hell is System suddenly taking up all of my processing abilities and how can I stop it?

One thing which really bothers me is that this problem only starts raising it’s unwanted head when I’m  connected to the Internet. Whether or not it’s related to some underlying issue with my wireless drivers is totally beyond me but I’ll get someone to look at it.

In the meantime I’m not switching operating systems because after my recent brush with Linux Mint 8 Helena I’ve vowed not to alternate OSes until I’ve updated my hardware. If I want to try software I’ll either emulate it or run it on a virtual platform.

Peace,

Steve :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License