02 March 2010

The Woes Of Windows Ship-Jumping

Seven days ago, I made the move from Windows to Linux. So far I've totally regretted it because, while Linux is fast and secure, I'm having so many problems. I'll give it a few more weeks but if it's not sorted by then I'm going back. It's getting on my nerves.

Here are the problems I'm having:



  • When my friend first installed Linux there was an issue with my graphics card. I was forced to use the lowest screen resolution in existence for three days. Then he finally sorted it out. It looks quite a bit better now.


  • On my girlfriend's birthday I couldn't have a video chat with her. This tore me apart so badly and it's all because Linux doesn't seem to get on with my webcam. I was kicking myself. Moving to this stupid operating system ruined her birthday...


  • When I logged on one day there was an error message. I tried getting around this but I just couldn't boot my computer at all. This led to me not being able to get online for two days. All that time without communication with my girlfriend.


  • I tried playing music in Rhythmbox but the whole thing crashed. Then my whole system followed suit. I had to perform a hard shut down and when I logged back on Rhythmbox had uninstalled itself. I installed it again but the same thing happened.


  • So I resorted to using Totem to play music. But whenever the program switches to the next track it totally crashes and shuts down. I have to launch it again, find the song and play it. Every time I change track.


  • Picasa doesn't immediately capture screenshots at the press of a button like it did running on Windows. I used to use this feature very frequently. Now I'm missing it quite badly.


  • From time to time I get logged out completely. All applications close without warning and I'm forced into logging in again. After I log in a second time the system theme has resorted to something ugly and pixelated. Fail.


  • When I open Software Manager or Package Manager, they crash. I'm prompted to perform a force quit of the programs. After that I'm forced to restart them but clicking on the icons won't do anything. I can't access them thereafter.


  • TweetDeck ran fine on Windows but it won't let me access anything on Linux.


  • I have to run Windows Movie Maker under Windows XP under a VM. This makes the entire system slow and stops videos rendering efficiently which generally leads to tacky quality. It's kind of stopped my series of online videos for Owl City...


  • I can't seem to play Flash content without it being jumpy and crashing.


  • Thanks to Linux not being smoothly compatible with the graphics card built into my laptop, I can't run 3D effects. I really want Compiz Fusion. I'm therefore missing out on all the amazing desktop effects.


  • I can't use Spotify and Grooveshark is jump and crashes because it's Flash.


  • When it comes to uploading blog posts I'm used to using Windows Live Writer but now I have to copy and paste the content from a word processor into Blogger's browser-based interface, losing out on all the nice features.


  • When I stick in a DVD to watch a movie everything works fine until it comes to switching from scene to scene. It's really weird... the whole movie is classed as one scene while menus and credits are separate!

So overall I'm having a lot of problems with Linux Mint 8 Helena. I hope that my open-source-savvy friend Guy will be able to sort these issues out. If not, I may be tempted to return to Windows. It's a hard decision because Linux has it's advantages. But seriously...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License