24 March 2010

Office 2010 Fail

Oh for the superiorly significant amount of dear. Downloading and installing the beta of Office 2010 brought much misery to my Windows XP SP3 operating system. The entire thing crashed several times. Now I’m left with an empty installation of the entire suite sat there on my PC doing absolutely nothing but wasting space. And I can’t even use it.

Why? Because trying to launch any of the applications in the suite leads to a system-wide crash, followed by the requirement of a hard shutdown. I can’t do it any other way. Not even Ctrl Alt Del solves this one.

On the contrary I did manage to use Word and PowerPoint for a few days and I must admit that PowerPoint impressed. There doesn’t seem to be much difference within Word bar the removal of the Office Button.

And that’s a universal alternation anyway. PowerPoint impressed me to a much higher degree but only for on real reason. As a lot of you will know, Microsoft has seen fit to get rid of a whole load of amateur animations and replace them with far more professional transitional effects. And that’s as far as the impressing features reach. Other than that I’m rather disappointed.

Whenever I attempt to launch any of the applications at the moment I just get a warning. It tells me I need to repair Office 2010 Beta. So I head into Control Panel and launch Add Or Remove Programs, find Office 2010 Beta, select it, and click ‘Change’. The repair process commences and soon it comes to a close, so I re-attempt launching an Office 2010 application. In vain.

The application’s loading screen appears before my eyes but that’s as far as I can get. Shortly after that a bubble appears in the notification area warning me of missing files.

So I connect to the Internet and install the files. Once said files have apparently been installed I try launching an application a third time. I get nothing this time around, so I give up and disconnect, but then a different notification bubble appears. It tells me to reconnect so that the repair process can finish. I almost throw my laptop across the room.

I’ll just wait for the retail edition methinks…

In the meantime I am left with no way or providing screenshots. But I can assure you that I really did install Office 2010 Beta. Alas, there is no way to provide evidence. I’m truly apologetic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License