04 March 2010

Have iPods become more susceptible to wear and tear?

Of late I have felt that the iPod Nano range has become more susceptible to wear and tear over time. You know the type, scratches, scuffs and dust. I have 2 iPod Nanos: a 1st Gen and a 3rd Gen (pictured below). Actually, though, I sort of inherited the 1st Gen Nano when my sister (you know, the one with the H1 I want) got a 4th and subsequently 5th Gen.



I started to think this when I put the two side by side and saw that there was quite a difference in the way they have aged. The 1st Gen has an amazingly small amount of scratches on the back (see picture below). I find this hard to believe because it had 4 years of hard use with no case and often in a bag with keys and loose change: a killer for portable devices. Maybe then, there is a slightly different coating on the back of the 1st Gen than the 3rd Gen which makes it more resilient to scratches. I mean, the 3rd Gen is covered with them! I had it in a case until it ripped, and don’t actually use it much outside my dock.



There is also a difference as to how the buttons on the two iPods have aged; more specifically, the hold button (pictured below). On the 1st Gen, it works fine. But on my own 3rd Gen, it has given in. No longer can I turn the device fully off with the peace of mind that it won’t turn itself back on in my pocket. I have resorted to screen lock to be my friend.



However, whilst the 3rd Gen Nano’s screen is still working, the 1st Gen’s has given up in some areas (picture below). The top bit of the screen doesn’t work at all, so I never know how the battery is doing. It is also very hard to pick a song, so I leave it to shuffle if I ever spur myself to use it.



To conclude, iPods do not age well. I have two prime examples. You are best to have one when new, enjoy it, then leave it on the dock until it really gives in. They should last over 2 years on the go, and then many more on the dock.

By James

Technorati Tags: ,,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Theѕe busineѕs synеrgіeѕ arе еxpected to be completеd later thiѕ year.
Such a ѕtrаtegy helρs гemеdy the
ѕituation and neeԁs.

my homepage: internet in marketing

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License