25 April 2010

Sony giving in

I have to say one thing, I like Sony products. As a PSP, Cybershot and Ericsson (ex Vaio and Walkman) owner I know a bit about them. And, one thing that was good about them was that everything worked together, but not with much else. The memory cards is what I am going on about here, Sony announced at CES that they were going to introduce SD cards to replace Memory Stick Pro Duo. First of all, this isn't a huge surprise. They have been going more and more standard size of late, with mobile phones taking Micro SD cards and 3.5mm jacks, it was just a matter of time before the rest of their range got the treatment as well.

And then, at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) they did it. They finally announced their SD cards, discreetly though. It wasn't a huge show like Microsoft's, just a small one for their horrible announcement which they knew would turn out to be proving themselves wrong in the first place. Basically, what they are saying is that people didn't like their expensive proprietary Memory Sticks so are going for what most people want. But, what about those of us with current Memory Stick enabled cameras, will we have to change them? I know one thing, I'm not going to.


Hopefully, what this means, is that if big manufacturers are getting on board with standard sizes, and MicroUSB becoming the standard size for mobile phone chargers, we could maybe one day have a world where every gadget has the same charger, headphones and memory cards. Technological harmony, if you will. Personally, I am in favour of this because it means you don't have that horrible moment of "Ooops, I forgot my charger. Can I borrow yours?" "Sorry, mine's a different kind." If microUSB can dominate everything about phones, that will be great for all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License