03 February 2010

HuntKey 300W Power Supply mini-review

I have a home server, that I built myself, which runs FreeNAS and has a 1TB SATA hard drive. Being built mainly from spares and random bits lying around, it had a completely no-name, 350W PSU which had a single 80mm fan. Unfortunately, cheap power supplies + 80mm fans do not bode well for noise levels, which were unacceptable for a server designed to run as close to 24 hours a day as possible. Knowing this, I wanted to get a slightly better quality PSU with a better fan leading to lower noise levels, and I chose the Huntkey 300W unit. HuntKey are a quite unknown brand, but better than a no-name brand like the cheap no-name unit I used previously. Even though it had 50W less output wattage, it is actually much better due to the increased quality of the components and crucially, the noise levels. From a noticeable whine with the previous PSU to an almost-inaudible hum quieter than the processor fan itself due to a better 120mm fan; the larger diameter allowing for slower RPM, ergo lower temperatures and noise.

Although by no means capable of being used in a proper desktop with a powerful graphics card, it is ideal for all other purposes including use in home SMB/Windows Home Server-servers and in basic office and internet PCs. Almost inaudible, it is recommended.

3 comments:

James said...

I just use a USB Hard drive. 320GB is plenty for me even though I have loads of movies and over 2000 songs.

Kerr said...

Or else, buy what Patsy's got.

MarkProvanP said...

Can an external drive work without a computer on? Could you run any OS that you wanted on it?

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License