10 January 2010

Facebook Virus! *dislike*

I am a staunch Chrome user and as of late there’s been a lot of hype about Google releasing a website on which a whole load of extensions are available for download to make your browser a whole lot better. A bit like Firefox. I was looking around on the extensions website today and I came across a download which claims to add a Dislike button to all posts on Facebook. A lot of people have been crying out for this feature but it has yet to be added. 

I just had to install the extension. Once I’d finished the installation I headed straight to a friend’s account to check if I could Dislike something. Much to my delight the Dislike button was there. But clicking on it did nothing at all.
Fullscreen capture 10012010 025948 PM.bmp
I updated my Facebook status and my Twitter status to let people know that I was having limited success. Then I got a nasty shock. A somewhat intelligent friend of mine told me it’s a virus.
I jumped online and started searching around for evidence of this.
As it turns out this extension has been stealing passwords and even planting viruses on the PCs of people who install it. I managed to uninstall the pesky thing before it did any harm to my system.
Let this be a warning to you: Don’t install an unofficial Dislike button.
Technorati Tags: ,,

2 comments:

James said...

guess it just reminds you about internet safety

Anonymous said...

You were stupid to install it in the first place, did you not consider all updated features on the site are made on the servers, no download, confirmation etc, would ever be needed.

Secondly, if you were on the internet on facebook, how can you re-jump online?

Finally, you cant be sure it hasnt done anyharm to your system, many viruses, trojans etc, open up back doors in firewalls for further viruses etc, to be easily downloaded undetetcted, these could in clude keylogging etc so with no visible effects you would be unaware and internet shopping is potentially bank threatening.
You really out to be more careful next time.

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License